Artists competed for $4,800 in prizes at the 11th annual Falls Church Arts Plein Air Festival competition Oct. 17 on the Falls Church City Hall grounds. More than 180 onlookers cast votes for the People’s Choice Award, while participating artists voted for the Artists’ Choice Award. Juror Lynn Mehta selected the remaining prize winners.
The competition featured not only 60 artworks created by 23 artists who painted outdoor scenes around the city during the previous week but also works completed by 14 artists during a three-hour “Quick Draw” competition that morning.
- People’s Choice Award ($350) and Rock Star Realty Artist’s Choice Award ($1,000) – “Northside Social” by Rajendra KC
- Beyer Auto Group Plein Air Prize ($1,250) – “Farmers’ Market” by Rajendra KC
- June Beyer Art Quick Draw Prizes – 1st ($350) “House on the Hill” by Jill Banks, 2nd ($250) “The Shed” by Tracy Burk, 3rd ($150) “Harris Teeter” by Rajendra KC
- Barb Cram Prize ($500) awarded in honor of Falls Church Arts’ beloved past president – “Pumpkins for Sale” by Jill Banks
- The Kensington Prize ($500) – “West End Park” by Robert Gilbert
- Young Group Prize ($250) – “Step off the Beaten Path” by Ingrid Matuszewski
- Falls Church Distillers Prize ($100 gift certificate) – “Isaac Crossman Park” by William Hendricks
- Solace Outpost Prize ($100 gift certificate) – “The Birch House” by Tracy Burk
Our thanks to all our generous Plein Air Festival prize sponsors.