This annual event brings artists together to
paint outdoors in Falls Church City
Artists register online, pay their entry fee, get the back of their supports (canvas, paper, etc.) stamped (some stamps included in the entry fee, more available for purchase at $5 each), and start painting scenes in the City of Falls Church.
After the painting period is over, artists submit their work to the juried Plein Air Festival competition
Each year, the Plein Air Festival competition and a Quick Draw competition are held on a Saturday at Falls Church City Hall Grounds, 300 Park Ave., Falls Church, VA
Quick Draw is open to all levels and all ages. Artists register ($15 entry fee) at the Quick Draw table, create their plein air works between 8 am and 11 am, and submit their work to be judged that morning!
Winners of both competitions are announced at noon.
2022 Plein Air Prize Winners (over $5,000 in cash prizes)
- Beyer Auto Group Plein Air Grand Prize – “Northside Social” by Rajendra KC (Falls Church, VA)
- Founders Row Prize – “Clare and Don’s Beach Shack” by Vicky Zhou (Oakton, VA)
- June Beyer Art Quick Draw Prizes – 1st – “First Punkins” by Lynn Lewis (Kensington, MD), 2nd – “Beach Shack” by Glen Kessler (North Potomac, MD), 3rd – “Happy to See You” by Yik Chek Chan (Bethesda, MD)
- New Editions Consulting Prize – “Tinner Hill Golden Hour)” by Christina Blake (Annandale, VA)
- The Kensington Senior Living Prize – “Same State” by Jill Banks (Great Falls, VA)
- Barbara Cram Plein Air Prize (Falls Church Arts) – “Morning on North” Fairfax by Lynn Lewis (Kensington, MD)
- The Young Group Prize – “To Keep My Heart in Tune” by Marci Green (Ashburn, VA)
- People’s Choice Award – “Beautiful Oakwood” by Valentina Yannotti (Geneva, NY)
Prize winners are selected by an outside juror, except for (a) the “Artists Choice Award,” which is chosen by the artist entrants and (b) the “People’s Choice Award,” which is awarded to the artist with the most popular painting as voted by the general public who attend the Festival competition.
Artists paint scenes at these and other attractions in the City of Falls Church
Cherry Hill Farmhouse and Barn, 300 block, Park Ave.
City Hall, 300 Park Ave.
Community Center, 223 Little Falls St.
Mary Riley Styles Public Library, 120 N. Virginia Ave.
Falls Church Farmers Market, every Saturday, at City Hall Parking Lot
14 City Parks (descriptions and map)
The Eden Center, Wilson Blvd. at Seven Corners
The Falls Church, Fairfax and S. Washington Sts.
The State Theater, 220 N. Washington St.
Tinner Hill Historic Sites: 106-108 Tinner Hill Rd., 307 S. Maple Ave., S. Washington St. and Tinner Hill Rd.
Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail
Houses on the National Register, including the Birch House, 312 E. Broad St., and Mount Hope, 203 S. Oak St.
Buildings on the Victorian Walking Tour
Commercial and Residential Streetscapes throughout the City