This annual event brings artists together to
paint outdoors in Falls Church City
(Dates for 2021 festival will be determined when Covid-19 pandemic situation allows.)
Artists register online, pay their $40 entry fee, get the back of their supports (canvas, paper, etc.) stamped (3 stamps included in the entry fee, more available for purchase at $5 each), and start painting scenes in the City of Falls Church.
After the painting period is over, artists submit their work to the juried Plein Air Festival Competition
This competition and a Quick Draw competition are held on a Saturday at
Falls Church City Hall Grounds, 300 Park Ave., Falls Church, VA
Quick Draw is open to all levels and all ages. Artists register ($15 entry fee) at the Quick Draw table, create their plein air works between 8 am and 11 am, and submit their work to be judged that morning!
Winners of both competitions are announced at noon
The 2020 Plein Air prizes totaled $4,800.
- Beyer Auto Group Plein Air Prize ($1,250)
- Rock Star Realty Group Artist’s Choice Award ($1,000)
- June Beyer Art Quick Draw Prizes ($750)
- Barb Cram Prize ($500) awarded in honor of Falls Church Arts’ beloved past president
- The Kensington Prize ($500)
- People’s Choice Award ($350)
- Young Group Prize ($250)
- Falls Church Distillers Prize ($100 gift certificate)
- Solace Outpost Prize ($100 gift certificate)
Prize winners are selected by an outside juror, except for (a) the “Artists Choice Award,” which is chosen by the artist entrants and (b) the “People’s Choice Award,” which is awarded to the artist with the most popular painting as voted by the general public who attend the Festival competition.
Artists might consider painting scenes at these and other attractions in the City of Falls Church:
- Around The Little City
- Cherry Hill Farmhouse and Barn, 300 block, Park Ave.
- City Hall, 300 Park Ave.
- Community Center, 223 Little Falls St.
- Mary Riley Styles Public Library, 120 N. Virginia Ave. (and other constructions sites in the city)
- Falls Church Farmers Market, every Saturday, at City Hall Parking Lot
- 14 City Parks (descriptions and map
- The Eden Center, Wilson Blvd. at Seven Corners
- The Falls Church, Fairfax and S. Washington Sts.
- The State Theater, 220 N. Washington St.
- Tinner Hill Historic Sites: 106-108 Tinner Hill Rd., 307 S. Maple Ave., S. Washington St. and Tinner Hill Rd.
- Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail
- Houses on the National Register, including the Birch House, 312 E. Broad St., and Mount Hope, 203 S. Oak St.
- Buildings on the Victorian Walking Tour
- Commercial and Residential Streetscapes throughout the City