Excellence in Art Scholarship
“Creativity takes courage” – Henri Matisse
Falls Church Arts is a recognized 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization founded in 2003. With a stated mission to “ensure the arts are an essential part of the cultural environment,” Falls Church Arts has since inception focused on the visual arts, bringing exhibition opportunities and the chance to learn, share, and grow. We have dedicated exhibition space at 700-B West Broad Street and offer classes, workshops, and dialogue groups at that same location.
Our Excellence in Art Scholarship is a new offering meant to recognize and encourage those who display an early dedication to making art. In 2023, we are offering $1,000 scholarships to as many as 3 students.
A student is eligible to apply for this $1,000 scholarship if the student meets all of the following criteria:
- Exhibits excellence and creativity in the visual arts fields of drawing, painting, photography, mixed media, or sculpture.
- Is in the final academic year of their secondary education at a Northern Virginia high school.
- Plans to attend an accredited post-secondary institution and further their artistic pursuits there.
Special consideration will be given to applicants whose art work and activities have benefited other students, their school, or members of the community.
Please note that all required documents and images must be received by Falls Church Arts no later than Friday, June 2, 2023.
- Complete and submit the application form, including your artist’s statement and five images of your work.
- Ask one of your art teachers to write a recommendation based on your work or interest in advancing it. Download and give your art teacher the art instructor recommendation background information document. The recommendation must be received by June 2, 2023.
- Ask another non-family adult to write a general recommendation, based on what they know about you, your work, your interest in art, or any efforts you have made to share your work or skills with others in your community. Download and give this person the personal reference background information document. The recommendation must be received by June 2, 2023.
- Ask your school counselor to mail an official copy of your transcript to Falls Church Arts – Attn: Scholarship Committee – PO Box 6912, Falls Church, VA 22040-6912. Your counselor may want to see the transcript request information document. The transcript must be received by June 2, 2023.
For additional information, contact:
Maureen Budetti (firstname.lastname@example.org) 202-288-9291 or
Marty Behr (email@example.com) 703-975-0762.