2019 Falls Church “Scenes in the City” Plein Air Festival
Paint outdoors in Falls Church City
April 13 thru June 14
Kick-off event on Saturday, April 13
(9 am to noon at the Falls Church Farmers Market, Falls Church City Hall Grounds)
Competition on Saturday, June 15 – 10:00 am. Winners announced at noon,
Falls Church Farmers Market, Falls Church City Hall Grounds
- Fill out entry form below. (Skip to entry form)
- Upload a JPF image of one of your recent Plein Air paintings as a sample of your work and pay your one-time entry fee online.
- Have supports stamped at a location named below.
$5 per stamp for each artwork support – canvases, papers, etc – prior to doing your work. Notify FCA when and where you are painting, and a photographer will take photos of artists at work for promotional purposes and to authenticate you are working “en plein air.”
Support stamping is available at:
- FALLS CHURCH ARTS, 700-B West Broad Street – Tues.- Sat. 11 am to 6 pm, Sun. 1 to 4 pm
- FCA at The Falls Church Farmer’s Market, corner of Park Avenue and Little Falls Street – Saturdays, 9 am to noon (weather permitting)
- Art and Frame of Falls Church, 205 West Jefferson Street – Mon. – Sat., 10 am to 6 pm
Members – $27.50, plus $5 per each support stamp
Non-members – $37.50, plus $5 per each support stamp
A maximum of four 2019 Plein Air “Scenes in the City” artworks can be entered per artist for judging. Other 2019 Plein Air “Scenes in the City” artworks can be for sale and should be turned in for display by 9 am on Saturday, June 15.
Plein Air Prizes*
- Don Beyer Volvo-KIA Plein Air Prize – 1st Place $1,250
- The Young Group Artists Choice Award – $1,000
- New Editions Consulting Prize – $750
- Rock Star Realty Group Prize – $600
- The Kensington Prize – $500
- The People’s Choice Award (FCA) $350
- The FCA President’s Prize $350
- Famille Cafe Prize $250
- Diener & Associates Prize – $250
*2018 prizes; 2019 prizes subject to change
Prize Winners are selected by the Plein Air judge(s) except for (a) the “The Young Group Artists Choice Award,” which is chosen by the artist entrants and (b) the “People’s Choice Award,” which is awarded to the artist with the most popular painting as voted by the general public who attend the Festival from 9:00 am to 11:30 am.
Consider painting scenes at these and other attractions in the City of Falls Church:
- Cherry Hill Farmhouse and Barn, 300 block, Park Ave.
- City Hall, 300 Park Ave.
- Community Center, 223 Little Falls St.
- Mary Riley Styles Public Library, 120 N. Virginia Ave.
- Falls Church Farmers Market, every Saturday, at City Hall Parking Lot
14 City Parks (descriptions and map)
The Eden Center, Wilson Blvd. at Seven Corners
The Falls Church, Fairfax and S. Washington Sts.
The State Theater, 220 N. Washington St.
Tinner Hill Historic Sites: 106-108 Tinner Hill Rd., 307 S. Maple Ave., S. Washington St. and Tinner Hill Rd.
Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail
Houses on the National Register, including the Birch House, 312 E. Broad St., and Mount Hope, 203 S. Oak St.
Buildings on the Victorian Walking Tour
Commercial and Residential Streetscapes throughout the City