Artists paint outdoors in Falls Church City
September 9-23, 2022
Plein Air Festival and Quick Draw Event on Saturday, September 24
(rain date October 1)
Juror: Andrei Kushnir
Plein Air Festival Judging
Participating artists check in and submit their competition works between 8 and 9 am
(artists requiring early drop-off, contact Alexia Scott, email@example.com)
Quick Draw Competition – 8 am to 11 am
Quick Draw is open to all levels and all ages. Artists register ($15 entry fee) at the Quick Draw table on September 24,
create their plein air works between 8 am and 11 am, and submit their work to be judged that morning!
Winners of both competitions announced at noon,
Falls Church City Hall grounds, 300 Park Ave.
Participating artists have the option of leaving unsold works for a subsequent exhibition at selected Falls Church Arts venues.
- Fill out entry form below. (Skip to entry form)
- Pay your one-time, nonrefundable entry fee online.
- Have substrates (canvases, papers, etc,) stamped at a location named below, prior to doing your work.
- Submit up to four of the works you have created during the painting period to the competition on September 24. (Artists will have the option of entering their Plein Air Festival submissions in a subsequent Plein Air Exhibition – no additional entry fee.)
Stamping is available September 9-23 at:
- Falls Church Arts Gallery, 700-B West Broad Street – (gallery hours: Tues.-Fri. 11 am to 6 pm, Sat. 9 am to 4 pm, Sun. 11 am to 4 pm)
- Art and Frame of Falls Church, 205 West Jefferson Street – (hours: Mon.- Sat. 10 am to 6 pm, Sun. noon to 4 pm)
Entry Fee (nonrefundable): $40 includes three stamps, $50 includes 5 stamps, $60 includes 7 stamps. Additional stamps available, $5 per substrate (cash or check)
A maximum of four 2022 Plein Air “Scenes in the City” artworks can be entered per artist for judging.
2022 Plein Air Prize Sponsors
Beyer Auto Group
New Editions Consulting
June Beyer Art
Kensington Senior Living
Barbara Cram Fund (Falls Church Arts)
The Young Group
2022 prizes total $5,000.
Prize winners are selected by the Plein Air juror except for (a) the Artists Choice Award, which is chosen by the artist entrants, and (b) the People’s Choice Award, which is awarded to the artist with the most popular painting as voted by the general public who attend the Festival from 9:00 am to 11:30 am.
Consider painting scenes at these and other attractions in the City of Falls Church:
Cherry Hill Farmhouse and Barn, 300 block, Park Ave.
City Hall, 300 Park Ave.
Community Center, 223 Little Falls St.
Mary Riley Styles Public Library, 120 N. Virginia Ave.
Falls Church Farmers Market, every Saturday, at City Hall Parking Lot
14 City Parks (descriptions and map)
The Eden Center, Wilson Blvd. at Seven Corners
The Falls Church, Fairfax and S. Washington Sts.
The State Theater, 220 N. Washington St.
Tinner Hill Historic Sites: 106-108 Tinner Hill Rd., 307 S. Maple Ave., S. Washington St. and Tinner Hill Rd.
Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail
Houses on the National Register, including the Birch House, 312 E. Broad St., and Mount Hope, 203 S. Oak St.
Buildings on the Victorian Walking Tour
Commercial and Residential Streetscapes throughout the City