2020 Falls Church “Scenes in the City” Plein Air Festival
(Note: We recognize health concerns around Covid-19 and are following guidance by public officials to keep participants safe and reduce the risk of transmission. )
Artists paint outdoors in Falls Church City
October 10-17, 2020
Plein Air Festival and Quick Draw Competitions on Saturday, October 17
Falls Church City Hall Grounds, 300 Park Ave., Falls Church, VA
(rain date October 24)
Jurors: Lynn Mehta
- Plein Air Festival artists check in and submit their competition works between 8 and 9 am (artists requiring early drop-off, contact Alexia Scott, email@example.com)
- Quick Draw Competition – 8 am to 11 am
Quick Draw is open to all levels and all ages. Artists register ($15 entry fee) at the Quick Draw table on October 17, create their plein air works between 8 am and 11 am, and submit their work to be judged that morning!
Winners of both competitions announced at noon
- Fill out entry form below. (Skip to entry form)
- Pay your one-time $40 entry fee online (includes three stamps – additional stamps available, $5 per support).
- Have supports (canvases, papers, etc,) stamped at a location named below, prior to doing your work.
Support stamping is available at:
- Falls Church Arts booth at the Falls Church Farmer’s Market, corner of Park Avenue and Little Falls Street – 9 am to noon, Sat., October 10 (weather permitting)
- Art and Frame of Falls Church, 205 West Jefferson Street – Mon. – Sat., 10 am to 6 pm, October 10-16
Entry Fee: $40 (includes payment for 3 stamps) Additional stamps available, $5 per support
A maximum of four 2020 Plein Air “Scenes in the City” artworks can be entered per artist for judging.
Plein Air Prizes*
- Beyer Auto Group Plein Air Prize – $1,250
- Tori McKinney Rock-Star Realty Group Artists’ Choice Award – $1,000
- June Beyer Art Quick Draw Prizes – $750 (1st – $350, 2nd – $250, 3rd – $150)
- Barbara Cram Plein Air Prize (Falls Church Arts) – $500
- The Kensington Prize – $500
- People’s Choice Award (Falls Church Arts) – $350
- The Young Group Prize – $250
- Falls Church Distillers Prize – $100 (gift certificates)
- Solace Outpost Prize – $100 (gift certificates)
*Sponsorships of prizes are still available.
Prize winners are selected by the Plein Air judges except for (a) the “Artists Choice Award,” which is chosen by the artist entrants, and (b) the “People’s Choice Award,” which is awarded to the artist with the most popular painting as voted by the general public who attend the Festival from 9:00 am to 11:30 am.
Consider painting scenes at these and other attractions in the City of Falls Church:
- Cherry Hill Farmhouse and Barn, 300 block, Park Ave.
- City Hall, 300 Park Ave.
- Community Center, 223 Little Falls St.
- Mary Riley Styles Public Library (construction site), 120 N. Virginia Ave.
- Falls Church Farmers Market, every Saturday, at City Hall Parking Lot
14 City Parks (descriptions and map)
The Eden Center, Wilson Blvd. at Seven Corners
The Falls Church, Fairfax and S. Washington Sts.
The State Theater, 220 N. Washington St.
Tinner Hill Historic Sites: 106-108 Tinner Hill Rd., 307 S. Maple Ave., S. Washington St. and Tinner Hill Rd.
Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail
Houses on the National Register, including the Birch House, 312 E. Broad St., and Mount Hope, 203 S. Oak St.
Buildings on the Victorian Walking Tour
Commercial and Residential Streetscapes throughout the City
Artists, please take a selfie of you and your work on location, put it on Instagram, and tag us @fallschurcharts. We will feature all selfies on our gallery story. Thank you!